Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Birch Bay


I spent the rainy Memorial Day weekend with my family in Birch Bay, WA., a small, infamous beach town about an hour south of the Canadian Border. Our family has been going to Birch Bay for generations. We meet there every August for the Graves Family Reunion (which happens to coincide nicely with crab season). To most outsiders Birch Bay is a pokey little town with a mish-mash of quaint beach cottages and large, impersonal condos, tacky t-shirt stands, and a rinky-dink water park better known as 'Wild n' Wet'. But to us, there is no place like it. (Pictured above: Some of the Graves Family circa 1960)


(The Seven Dwarfs Cabins - part of Davidson's Terrace and owned by my Great Grandfather and Grandmother)


(Great Grandma Eva outside of the Davidson's Terrace Gift Shop)

Like many beach towns, Birch Bay saw its hay-day in the 1950s and 60s, when it could boast such attractions as the Birch Bay Carnival, the Roller Rink, and Dance Hall. According to my mom, on summer holidays the cars were lined up, bumper to bumper, on the waterfront road.


(Aunt Susie with Davidson Terrace in the background, 1955).

6 comments:

  1. i got my haircut at rudy's yesterday and one of the ladies liked my virgin mary medallions. i told her about bb barcelona and your mom's necklaces and she wrote it down. publicity, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! My mom will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't build things like they used to. It makes you wonder, did they intentionally build cabins with a quaint aesthetic in mind, or were they merely building within their means. Given the option, would they have preferred the larger tasteless monstrosities that dominate new construction today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that true. I grew up coming here to Birch Bay too since my grandparents moved a cabin onto a lot. Now m parents have retired here and I just moved up too. Birch Bay year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics ! I live next door to the the gift shop -we rent it to a couple

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggee,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Birch Bay to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete